SmithHönig’s Peel & Stick Wallpaper goes up easily, with no mess. It helps to have a friend available to help, but in a pinch, you can install it all by yourself!
What you’ll need:
- a ladder
- a level
- a straight-edge ruler
- a sharp blade (such as an Exacto)
Not the DIY type? Any wallpaper installer or handyman should be able to help. A detailed copy of the instructions will be included with your shipment.
- First inspect your walls. Check for bumps, indentations, imperfections or uneven paint. For best results make sure your walls are smooth and painted with a gloss or semigloss paint. (Don’t install immediately after painting. Give your walls a chance to ‘cure’.)
- To start hanging, begin in the least conspicuous corner of your room. (We usually start at the top left edge of the project wall, and our instructions are written accordingly.) Using the ladder, place the level at the top left corner of the (first) project wall and confirm that the ceiling is level and at a 90º angle with the adjacent wall.
- Place your first roll of wallpaper on the floor, against the wall, with the wallpaper design facing away from the wall.
- Peel ONLY the first 6 inches of backing away from the wallpaper roll and, using the ladder, carry the sticky wallpaper up the ladder, allowing the rest of the still-covered paper to unroll as you go. Don’t remove any more backing yet.
- Gently place the sticky side of the wallpaper onto the wall with the top edge of the wallpaper aligned next to your ceiling and the left edge of the wallpaper aligned in the corner of the room.
- If at first you don’t get the wallpaper placed exactly straight, don’t worry. Peel & Stick Wallpaper is repositionable. Just gently pull it away from the wall and place it again.
- Once the wallpaper is properly aligned, you can now press the sticky surface firmly to the wall, working your way from the center out to the two edges of the wallpaper, so that any trapped air bubbles get pushed out to the edges.
- Next, gently pull the backing down another 2 feet. Press the wallpaper down as you move down the wall in 2-foot increments.
- Press the wallpaper down in a concave arch, starting in the center and working your way out each time to push any bubbles to the outer edges.
- Continue unrolling in 2 foot increments and pressing down, until the wallpaper reaches the floor or baseboard.
- Use a straight edge and your sharp blade to cut off the excess paper.
- Repeat these steps with the next piece of wallpaper.
- Note that the wallpaper is designed to overlap. Make sure to overlap the pattern by 1/2 inch so that the pattern aligns correctly.
- Repeat these steps until you finish your project.
- Now enjoy your handiwork – and that luscious SmithHönig wallpaper!
A NOTE ON CEILING INSTALLATIONS
If you plan to install peel and stick wallpaper on your ceiling – which looks awesome by the way – please note that you will need to use glue at the corners and seams. The weight of the paper itself – and that little thing called gravity – will cause the wall covering to fall. We suggest drops of glue at the corners and seams.
FUN DIY PROJECTS
Leftover wallpaper can be used for stylish DIY projects. Try covering old books, or lining the back of a bookcase. Use your imagination! Then show us your style!
WANT TO BE FEATURED ON INSTAGRAM?
Tag @smithhonig on Instagram and use the hashtag #shopsmithhonig for a chance to have your project featured. We can’t wait to see!
(Thanks to Yuni Min of the design and style blog Love Your Abode for the photo showing Yuni installing our Bryony Storm wallpaper in Noir.)